Friday, January 27, 2012

Grammar Errors and Peer Edits

Grammar Errors:

I just finished writing a new paragraph for my paper so I had a lot of good, new material to look at for problems.

1) The idea of changing from the convenient two-turns-and-your-there route that I have right now is a bit frightening.
-In this I used "your" wrong. It should be you're because it is a contraction for you are. There should also be a comma after "convenient" because the list of adjectives here needs to be in that specific order. So it should be: 


The idea of changing from the convenient, two-turns-and-you're-there route that I have right now is a bit frightening. 


2) They would increase the variety, and, in my personal opinion, the fun, that can come from mandatory activities, like getting from the dorm to campus. 
-This sentence has too many commas. It should be more like this:


They would increase the variety and, in my personal opinion, the fun that can come from mandatory activities like getting from the dorm to campus. 


3) There would be more time for tennis or ultimate Frisbee or volleyball; activities which I like and which are good for me.
-The second part of the sentence is not an independent clause, it could not stand by itself, that means that a semicolon is unnecessary. A comma is good enough to join this sentence together.


There would be more time for tennis or ultimate Frisbee or volleyball, activities which I like and which are good for me. 


4) Another irony is that, on the less packed days, when we have just one class, we laugh that we will spend more time walking down to campus that day than actually in class learning.
-This sentence also has too many commas (I'm not sure if there is a technical term for that or not :)). It is hard to tell if they are being used correctly when so many are present. It should be more like this:


Another irony is that, on the less packed days when we have just one class, we laugh that we will spend more time walking down to campus that day than actually in class learning. 

5) These items can, indeed, be dangerous. However, bikes can be dangerous as well, as can cars.
 -However is a conjunctive adverb. They are used to relate one independent clause to another so these two sentences should be one.

These items can, indeed, be dangerous: however, bikes can be dangerous as well, as can cars. 

Those are all my grammar errors. Now it's time for:

My Peer Editing Opinions:
Peer editing is definitely not my favorite thing in the world. This time around it was especially hard because we had to comment so many times on each page. It took me hours just to find okay comments (and even then, half of them were probably not useful at all). I was not looking forward to the in-class peer discussions either (I admit, thick-skinned is probably not a trait of mine:) ), but I actually thought those were very helpful. It was nice to hear both the bad and the good about my paper. The good was nice to hear because it is hard to tell for your own paper if something came out the way you meant it to come out. Hearing that I had said what I meant to say was very encouraging. And, after hearing all of the good stuff, the bad didn't seem nearly as bad. It was good to hear the things about my paper that needed help. I enjoyed reading other people's comments on my paper too. It was nice to know specific parts that they liked and didn't like. This peer editing experience was, by far, the most constructive I have ever been part of.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not really sure what to say in response to this week's blogs. Way to go! You find those punctuation errors.:) I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about the peer reviews. This was the best experience I've had with them, but not my favorite thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work. One correction: on example five, you need a semicolon instead of a colon. "These items can, indeed, be dangerous; however, bikes can be dangerous as well...."

    However can start a sentence, so the second part of this sentence was an independent clause, but it does sound better if you link the two together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I am not positive that this is right, but I think that you may want to add another comma in your first correction.
    "The idea of changing from the convenient, two-turns-and-you're-there route that I have right now (,) is a bit frightening."
    Since you are describing what convenient is, it seems like it should be in commas. Then if you take the part between commas out, you still have a complete sentence. You may want to check me on that because I am not a wizard at punctuation but I think that it may be correct!
    Nice Job at correcting though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on finding those errors and fixing them. It's not easy to find problems with your paper when you're so used to the way it already is. Also, I really agree with what you said concerning peer reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job editing the errors that you found in your paper! I'm really glad that we had that grammar review last week, I hadn't realized how much I had forgotten!

    ReplyDelete