Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Library Day!

Basically, on Monday I learned how to use the library website. Honestly, I didn't even know that there was a library website and I had definitely never been on it before, so I also learned of the existence of the library's website. From there, I learned the series of clicks that will lead me from the library's website to the library's specially made WRTG 150 page, which is going to be very useful during the research process. They have that page set up so you can conveniently find resources about practically anything, which will be super helpful. With the click of a button, I can find thousands of articles relating to my topic and the issues surrounding it. It was good to learn that you have to email the articles to yourself. If I had tried to use the website by myself, I definitely would have copied and pasted the URL's, that's just what I do, and apparently, that would have ended badly. I also learned that you can chat with a librarian whenever you want and ask questions and that there is a taboo on using encyclopedias as sources for college papers (good to know). My biggest research-related concern is just that there weren't many books on my topic, but it sounded like that worry will dissipate come Friday and the second mandatory library instruction day. And thus, we can safely say that, I learned a lot.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe one thing you could do is broaden your topic a little bit in order to find books. Negative physical effects from using the computer is pretty specific and if you can't find books on that maybe you could generalize into physical effects from technology. I don't know if that's something that you'd want to do or that would be useful, but maybe it'd be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with basically everything you learned, because that was about everything that I said I learned!
    I too did not know the library even had it's own website...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way about my topic. It's kind of obscure but I would take Sam's advice and also realize that maybe this is a great way to make your own discoveries! :)

    ReplyDelete